1) Stay more organized by scheduling my day/week - I'm terrible at this. In the past, I've missed credit card payments not due to a lack of funds in the bank, but because I forgot! (No more of that- I've set up email alerts) Similarly I'd make lists of things I needed to get done, but always ended up carrying some of them over to the next day. When I was a child, I remember finishing all my homework by following a schedule. So that is what will be happening at the beginning of each day this year, even if it makes me feel a little juvenile.
2) Keep a better home - So I'm no Martha Stewart. Really! Hopefully by improving my organizational skills, I'll blossom into a domestic diva!
Groceries - $100/week (might have to revise after a couple of weeks' worth of trials)
Breakfasts and lunches - brown bag 3 times a week (not x5/week as I'm trying to be realistic here)
Clothing - inspired by FB (from Fabulously Broke in the City) I'm imposing a wardrobe ban on myself but keeping $150 for emergencies
Insurance - We currently pay $1550 so definitely shopping around for a cheaper rate.
Travel - $7000/year
Entertainment - $50/week
Personal care - $30/month
Home maintenance (light bulbs, laundry detergent, etc) - $30/month
$300/month - for my folks back home
Medical and Baby - not on budget
Miscellaneous (gas, subway pass, etc) - $50/week
Not counting the travel and insurance (which has already been paid), this would give us a monthly budget of $1160. I'll be posting how we do every couple of months.
4) Something related to budgeting is planning my meals at the beginning of each week. I've still got to figure the ins and outs of this as we normally do the grocery shopping on the weekends and if I were to foray into couponing using the Sunday paper, I'd have to postpone the shopping. That's hard given our schedules.
5) Have at least 2 alternative sources of income.
6) Lose my belly permanently - I usually resolve to lose 10 lbs at the beginning of each year as that's how much it takes to lose the excess fat around my waist. Ive succeeded only once so far, but come close most of the time only to relapse and gain it back. This year instead of focusing on the numbers on the scale, I'm going to try to eat more veggies and less sugary stuff!!! and exercise 3 times a week.
7) Last but not least, and inspired by the Financial Samurai, I'll be seeking the good in others.
Wish me luck with my lucky seven!